Author Topic: "Hobbit Land"  (Read 15203 times)

cabaker77

"Hobbit Land"
« on: May 28, 2006, 10:29:00 PM »
I can't remember if I've seen someone mention this on here or not. I'm sure that anyone in that area has probably heard of a place called "hobbitland/Hobbit Land" just outside of Marion in Grant County. My parents live right near there, and I spent most of my highschool years and part of college living near there as well. The reason I ask is because I was wondering if anyone actually did an investigation there around the burial grounds and such? I've been down there numerous times when I was younger, but never really investigated it (in the future I would like to). There are various stories, but basically it's the Mississinewa 1812 Battleground, and there are re-enactments done I think every year. However, there is a story around there about how a bridge used to exist (I have seen the remains), and several people used to have problems crossing the bridge (their cars would die), and it had to do with a woman dying...or her child dying...etc. Whether or not that part is true, I don't know. However, a friend and I were sitting down there in his car talking one night several years ago (and no we weren't on anything)...and I caught a glimpse of something in the side mirror. When I looked around, I didn't see anything. When I looked back in the mirror I saw a red haze creeping closer to the back of the vehicle. Now keep in mind, the vehicle and its lights were out. There aren't any houses around for at least a mile. The area is surrounded by a dense forest. If someone else was out there, or another vehicle nearby, we would have heard. The red fog appeared to start moving closer to the car, and it was sort of in a shape, but what shape it was...I couldn't tell. I asked my friend if he could see something in his mirror....and when he looked he about pooped his pants to put it politely. The haze was right behind the car at that time. He saw something that freaked him out so bad that he immediately started the engine and flew outta there like a bat outta hell. I've never seen someone leave a scene so quickly. I no longer have communication with him (we graduated college and went our separate ways), but back at that time he never wanted to talk about what he saw, and if I were to bring it up...he got this creeped out look in his eyes. So, I'd be up for going back there sometime. Any other stories or theories on this place....I'd love to hear. Thanks!
~Carrie  :ghost

Offline csi_guy

• Forum Users
    • woodland indian re-enacting
Re: "Hobbit Land"
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 06:12:35 PM »
I take part in the re-enactments at Mississinewa 1812 event. I saw the Indian cemetery listed on the shadowland website. It said alot of things about the cemetery. Last year while at the event, I went to it very late at night, still in my native dress. I did not experience anything out of the ordinary, especially the stuff they list on that web site. I did obtain some evp from there but nothing outstanding.
People are "dying" to meet me!

Offline nitebear

• 2010 Indianapolis Chapter Director
  • IGT Management
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 08:51:40 PM »
I would be up to check this place out....If there was a fog rolling in and you or he had your foot on the brakes it would make the fog rolling in look wild to say the least...but it sounds like he was looking at something more than the red fog.....so count me in on checking this place out..

Offline Troy AKA: T-DOGG

• Northwest Indiana Member
  • Troy Wilkey - 4 YR. IGT MEMBER
    • The Best Paranormal Website Ever!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 02:13:24 PM »
I would love more info on this place, including directions.

Any legitimate EVP  is outstanding in my book.
"BELIEVE YOU CAN SHINE WHEN YOU'RE SILVER AND I PROMISE YOU GOLD" ~ Blue October

Offline steffe1

• Forum Users
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 01:31:01 PM »
I grew up in the area, and we spent many nights there as teens looking for something to do.  Heard all the tales and folklore and would love to go back. :ghost3

Offline work

• Lafayette Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 12:36:18 PM »
I take part in the re-enactments at Mississinewa 1812 event. I saw the Indian cemetery listed on the shadowland website. It said alot of things about the cemetery. Last year while at the event, I went to it very late at night, still in my native dress. I did not experience anything out of the ordinary, especially the stuff they list on that web site. I did obtain some evp from there but nothing outstanding.

i took part in the re-enactment as well, 4 years in a row, ending about 5 years ago.  i was in the fife and drum corps.  stayed out there pretty late roaming around, never saw anything.  but i never saw the cemetary, either

Offline csi_guy

• Forum Users
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 01:17:43 PM »
On the main road going into the grounds it is on the north side of the road. This year we went around to where the memorial to the soldiers is at and tried some evp there.  The noise level was too much with a combine in the field be we did get some to prove to the individual with me.

Offline Flyboy

• Forum Users
  • Adaptive Medical Engineer, Pilot/Flight Instructor
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 04:24:01 AM »
I've been to Mississenewa once as a reenactor, (fell in with a group) but, that was before I was into the paranormal. I normally do 18th Century Rev War reenacting. Belong to the NWTA, BAR and the Continental Line. Mostly with NWTA, Illinois Regiment of Virginia under George Rogers Clark. I wonder how many others in IGT do reenacting?
www.indyghosthunters.com
tim@indyghosthunters.com
www.myspace.com/flyboyonyoursix

We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities ......

Offline csi_guy

• Forum Users
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 07:30:29 AM »
I like the F & I period, but participate in Rev War, 1812 and anything that might need a native presence. 

Offline Flyboy

• Forum Users
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 11:22:45 AM »
I've done a lot of F&I, Medevel events, WWI-II but draw the line at Civil War reenacting. Csi Guy,maybe you should fall in with us at Vincennes this spring and after dark hunt around the graveyard at Francis Xavier Church and the lower grounds.
www.indyghosthunters.com
tim@indyghosthunters.com

We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities ......

Offline csi_guy

• Forum Users
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 11:53:49 AM »
Sounds like fun, is that the event held in May, Spirit of Vincennes?

Offline Flyboy

• Forum Users
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 12:33:30 PM »
Yep, Memorial Day weekend... I'll get back with ya later on this..
www.indyghosthunters.com
tim@indyghosthunters.com

Offline Killraven

• Forum Users
    • EERIE Radio
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 10:32:50 AM »
This reminds me of the Puk-wud-ies from Mounds State Park in Anderson. I grew up near there and it's an interesting folklore of gnomes running around. During the winter months it's easy to go on the trails at night. The park doesn't close until late and people (well non-crazy people) don't walk the trails around the burial mounds in the dark, except for me hehe.

Lot's of interesting stories come out of there.
EERIE Radio Host
www.eerieradio.com

Offline joby1666

• Forum Users
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 09:07:08 PM »
You know i grew up in Jalapa on Francis Slocum trail.As a kid there wasnt nothin out there to do so i would play in the woods "HOBIT LAND"and i would always see this dude crouched down with his dog just lookin at me.Now i would run of course but he was always there everytime my brother would go but he never seen him but he always made sure i seen him. :ghost2

Offline Flyboy

• Forum Users
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 04:09:09 AM »
Sounds like fun, is that the event held in May, Spirit of Vincennes?

Note for the benefit of Joby:  The Spirit of Vincennes is a Reenactors event held every Memorial Day weekend in Vincennes, Indiana.

Here's the Website: http://www.spiritofvincennes.org/rendezvous/index.htm

LOL..Joby, didn't mean to lead you on.... there's no actual "Spirit" in the sense you may think...lol...
www.indyghosthunters.com
tim@indyghosthunters.com

Offline joby1666

• Forum Users
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 08:50:58 PM »
fly boy i dont know what u are speaking of about the spirit of vincennes do you even know where hobit land is it is quite far from there you evidently know nothing about it there is a city named marion indiana and it is just a few miles out of there and if you truly did know anything about it you wouldnt question it im one of thousands if not more who have seen or heard many things of or about hobit land so go ahead and do some investigating before thinking you are so smart...AND AS FAR AS YOUR ..LOL..I MEAN COME ON--"FLY BOY" :dontknow:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 02:36:39 PM by joby1666 »

Offline joby1666

• Forum Users
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 08:53:10 PM »
one more thing FLY BOY the re-enactment is done in october and it is of the war of 1812 :angry5:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 02:35:58 PM by joby1666 »

scott drysdale

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
i've gone every year to marion for the 1812 fest. and have had some good times after hours.  at the grave yard and the true battleground i've sat and seen shadows and heard voices. at the native and white grave yard i was setting down by the native stone after i gave a gift of some wild flowers and heard native voices. i love our indiana history. i've beeen to 1812 fest. ,fest of the hunters moon, vincennes, forks of the wabash, you name it. if there is a historial marker i stop. my kids, (now 25 and 21) would beg to do anythingelse on the weekends or vacation. i've even ran rhe western ohio fort line from cinncinnati to toledo. i know no one has been on this topic for a while, but just had to drop a line. i love the 1812 fest at marion. i was discharged from the hospital on friday and was at the fest. on saturday morning,  waiting to get in. spend time doing this stuff(and ghost hunting) turn off your tv's.....scott

Offline csi_guy

• Forum Users
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 07:21:44 PM »
I only went on Sat. this year. Had so many things going on this fall.  I wanted to stay late but things didn't work out that well.  I did go to Prophets Rock on the eve of the battle this year. Nothing much happening there that evening. Was still in native attire also as we had just come back from an 1812 event in Vincennes.

scott drysdale

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 02:26:37 PM »
thank you......i recieved a  "im"  from renee. i know how fall gets. i try to make all the sites but "fest. of the hunters" i don't always get to. i am a huge purdue basketball fan, have been since 1967. so i spend time at battleground, prophets rock, etc. i've only seen the road marker for the native village site once. seems that it was out in the middle of no where. it had a farm around it at the time. anyway, like i told renee, i know i have meet and talked to you. i believe it was at forks of the wabash. you told my son that he did not have enough hair to take. at the time he was appox 8 years old. he will be 21 on the 19th of this month. you caught him looking in your woodland shelter. if this was not you, i'm very sorry to have bothered you. happy holidays. scott

Offline KrisManson666

• Forum Users
    • Strictly Paranormal Investigations
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 07:09:53 PM »
 :)  I went out to the Indian Memorial a few weeks ago.. it was pretty wicked.. Heard what sounded like kids laughing!!!  Needless to say, we ran out of there.
Went back a few weeks later, not much activity and actually walked around the entire place.. however, on the walk out of there, everyone was in front of me, and my niece was beside me.. I heard something running/stomping up from behind me, I didn't even turn to look, I just took off running!  hahaha  When I did look, nothing was there.
That place is pretty creepy.

I've never had any experiences out at the Soldiers Memorial.. but still fun to check out.. it's always foggy when we go.

The woods.. went back to the Indian hut things (sorry.. I've never been to the re-enactment, so I don't know what they are..) walked around in them, and smelt a horrible, horrible smell.. could of been a dead animal.. but I wasn't going to investigate for it.. LOL  So we left.. took MILLIONS of pictures, actually got a really good one, looked like 2 red eyes in the woods.. it was fairly tall.. so I thought maybe a deer, put it in my edit program and brightened all that fun junk.. and there was no body to it?!  Weird...

The old bridge, I found the remains of it, it was actually in the day time when we were hiking, I didn't know there was a story behind it.. I'll definitely be checking it out again.

The main bridge on the road, I've heard some interesting stories about it from other people!  Never had any experiences myself though.   :)

scott drysdale

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 06:08:10 PM »
what are the stories on the bridges?, scott

Offline MikeKhukuriTV

• Forum Users
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 01:14:41 PM »
I would like to start off by saying in no way am I trying to offend anyone on this website. Anyways I am a new Youtube partner and I have been thinking of ideas of series. Well 2 friends and I settled on a comedy series called Ghost Warriors. This is a comedy Ghost Hunting internet series where we visit haunted places throughout Indiana and do our own investigation. None of the evidence is credible for say but we did film an episode at Hobbit land if anyone would like to see a further look into the place, it is creepy and does hold alot of its rep. we went to the bridge and whatnot. I got a weird clinking noise recorded on my cam but I think it was just a nail being knocked off of the bridge. Anyways the video is uploading right now.

Anyways, the first two episodes we hunted with nothing but 2 cameras. I have an evp as well as other equipment ordered. So although this is a comedy series and we say quite a bit of things that make no sense at all it will be fun to see what actually we can capture at these haunted places through Indiana.

OH and also if anyone wants to participate in the show and go to some haunted locations with us you are more than welcome to, its fun to meet new people who share the same interests.

Offline MikeKhukuriTV

• Forum Users
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 10:28:25 AM »
Here is a link to our night, we had no idea where the bridge was so we spent the majority of the night just searching for the actual bridge.

This post has been edited because of excessive profanity that is not allowed on this website.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 10:34:04 PM by PhiScience »

Offline steffe1

• Forum Users
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 06:25:30 AM »
I'm going to do some research on the bridge.  The stories I have read on here about the bridge are actually ones that are similar to the events surrounding the bridge over by Upland around Devil's Backbone.  I have never heard any stories, until now, regarding these circumstances around the bridge at Hobbitland.  That being said, the grounds on the Hobbitland side of the river have been used as cult ritual meeting sites for decades.  On meeting nights, if you were really quiet, you could go down the trails on the other side of the river and climb up on the old bridge remains and hide in the foliage and watch the cult members travel up and down the river in small boats with only lit torches for light.  There would be 5-6 boats full in succession.  On a side note, this area is bound to get more creepy and have more activity as the body of a missing grandmother was just found dumped in a field, about a month ago, by the battlegrounds. :ghost :ghost

* IGT Live Ghost Cam 1