Author Topic: Indianapolis Underground Tunnel System?  (Read 14587 times)

Offline Veritas Aequitas

• Forum Users
  • God's Shepherd
Indianapolis Underground Tunnel System?
« on: January 12, 2008, 08:16:32 AM »
Sorry all if this doesn't belong here - it seemed to fit though.

I have been doing some research... and it seems that Indianapolis may have an underground tunnel system (according to some boards I have been trolling). Does anyone know anything about these? Some boards said that some were public as they were part of the Underground Railroad. More private ones are maintained by the Archdiocese of Indianapolis. That peaked my interest as there is also a Cathedral of Scottish Rite in Indy...

So the long and short of it is I need to get out there and find these things.

Anyone know?  :dontknow:
And the shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand.
Our feet may swiftly carry out thy commands.
So we shall plow a river forth to thee.
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri, Et Fili, Spiritus Sancti.

Offline rcthibault

• Forum Users
Re: Indianapolis Underground Tunnel System?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 08:41:59 AM »
Good chance that the catholic churches have a tunnel system. most catholic churches had them to protect the preist from attack. HE could hop into his secret tunnel with the "body of christ" ( the host or comunion wafers or how ever  you call it) and get away to an undisclosed location so may blocks away incase the churches get bombed or attacked . FOr example St. Boniface church here in LAfayette has one, and Fr. Tim ALkire always says that if anybody canfigure out where the door to get in it is ( which is located in the church) he will grant you with a tour of that tunnel. I have yet to this day been able to figure out where it is. Made going to church more fun. ANy who go in and talk with a few bishops or priests and see what they have in Indy. Chances are they too have them. Was  WWII i beleive. Hope that helps.

Offline Veritas Aequitas

• Forum Users
  • God's Shepherd
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 08:47:57 AM »
I figure with Google running Rampant now around the Intraweb, one could figure out such info...

::goes to do research::
And the shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand.
Our feet may swiftly carry out thy commands.
So we shall plow a river forth to thee.
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri, Et Fili, Spiritus Sancti.

Offline mr.scarey

• Indianapolis Member
  • welcome to the party pal
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 12:59:43 PM »
There are tunnels under the city.They were there  from the civil war.There was years ago a haunted house down in the tunnels,but they have since been closed.I did have a chance to go in the tunnels,i found them creepy because they are underground but nothing unusual.

Offline Lafindog

• Forum Users
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 09:22:34 AM »
Several of the cities in northern Indiana (Valparaiso, Crown Point, LaPorte) have tunnels in the downtown areas that were used for heat that came from a central location.  In some cases they had a "dumb waiter" type of platform to deliver goods from street level to the basements.
Life is not measured by the breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline powervoltz

• Fort Wayne Member
  • new address
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 11:54:10 AM »
after catching some of the shows on sat/cable i think on the History channel( can't remember) .  I was often wondering if there are any around the area(the state) and as I read it's true. I do know that Fort Fun has a tunnel network, my dad ha worked for the gas company and as a newbie ( 50years ago) he had to go through and check lines for wear and tear.  H e would go in through a resturant back door and and emerge 6-10 blocks down the street.  One thing he found Funny was when he came out into a place and scared the begevees out the people in that building.  He said that their are basements and inthe basement is a door, looks like storage ,but i would lead into a sublevel and off he went.  He told me of one story, where he came out of a tunnel scaring the crap outta two people so bad he thoguht they went into shock, he tipped his hat walked by them, and walked them room for a minute looking for the other door, had to move a dresser outta the way unlocked the door and disappeared again, a he left, he heard one of the people ask who he was, and then where was he going.  to them he replied just your gas company maintance team sorry for the scare see you next month.

now just to give you a little detail Dad is 6ft 3, and is 250lb of ol' farmer, imagine that basically coming out of a wall, and then disappering again. kinda frighting if you weren't expectting it

powervoltz
When you enjoy something Don't be afraid of what others think!

Offline Flyboy

• Forum Users
  • Adaptive Medical Engineer, Pilot/Flight Instructor
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 08:18:01 AM »
There are in places around Indianapolis, Water Cisterns that you could travel through quite easily. I had one in my back yard in Woodruff Place that you could almost stand up in.  Perhaps those were some of the described "tunnels"...
www.indyghosthunters.com
tim@indyghosthunters.com
www.myspace.com/flyboyonyoursix

We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities ......

Offline crystoma

• Forum Users
  • Honor is a personal thing.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 02:46:00 AM »
I was still living in Indy when buildings were being torn down for Circle Center. Some friends and I were roaming around Meridian Street and walked through one of the demolition areas. (Folks from Indy might recall the historic building owned by Simons that mysteriously "fell down" one night. This was the building site.) We noted that there were doorways down in the crater from the building. Being young and stupid, we went down to the doorways. There certainly was a tunnel through four sides of the crater. They were blocked with boards about 25 yards in.

Many years ago (around 1983), I did some research with a friend who had an apartment in a former mansion along North Meridian (near 21st Street). He was curious because he had found a door in his basement that led to a tunnel. That tunnel was blocked by a bricked-up doorway in the basement of the house next door. We checked out some documents at the state library at the old state museum and had a talk with the museum director, Mary Gibson, (who happened to be one of my neighbors at the time). During the Civil War era, there was concern for the safety of the Governor and other state dignitaries. The tunnels were created to allow safe passage to the State House and Governor's mansion to and from various locations in the city.

While the tunnels were very cool, I did not have any "experiences" in any of those I visited. While there may be some residual hauntings in some of them, I don't believe there is much activity there. At this point, I doubt that any of them would even be accessible. Cool stuff and cool history, though.
Sarah R. Rogers
Indiana Ghost Trackers

Offline violetpurple

• Forum Users
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 03:59:03 PM »
I worked at the old Lexington Hotel on East Washington St. downtown Indianapolis in 1960 and 1961.  Under the hotel there were three more levels.  The first underground level was a cocktail and dinner room, the second level underground had all the lockers for the employees to keep their uniforms and peprsonal items in.  The third underground level was a tunnel that linked the hotel to several other buildings.  I moved away from Indy for about 28 years and when I came back the Lexington was torn down.  I have not been able to find anything about the tunnel that connected the Lexington Hotel to any other buildings in Indianapolis.  Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what happened to the tunnel?

Offline indytunnel1

• Forum Users
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 11:22:56 AM »
I can not tell you all the answers to your questions. But, I can offer a few clues...

I can tell you this though, the tunnels that you look for are for the most part secret, and for good reasons...

Some are not just tunnels that connect building to building, some are though...

I am not aware of any formal map that shows Indianapolis underground tunnels, but some of the people in offices will talk... just ask... They may not say were or how to access but they will tell you they exist...

Lilly has a  major complex above ground that is seen easily....

Look @ utility companies... None will be named obviously... they usually have large amounts of funding as well... and numerousa buildings...

University down town has tunnels that students and staff use them daily.

There is underground vaults that are known. usually were constructed by banks. Many have been filled in.
Some you drive over with your cars daily.

many sky scrapers in Indianapolis have between 1-8 sub layers.  Most facilities will only admit to 3. Most only have 3-4. The people to inquire this knowledge will be maintenance workers working at such facilities for many of years.  Beyond 3-4 sub layers will not typically be on architects final plans. They sometimes will be buried, in drafts or preliminary plans.

These plans must be on file. Look for strange anomalies such as something that may appear to be a shaft or star wells. these will be the only thing that you may find. 

These plans used to be or still are public record.  Usually buried, depending on construction in the economic commission, Clerks office,  building commissioner, permits offices, etc. The information is out there, but will require lots of foot work.  Look for discrepancies in plans or missing pages. Look for permits for companies in areas of your concern. There is usually a paper trail. Look for permits that appear to be for longer periods of time than need be, or shorter periods of time than a project should take. Again lots of digging.

You will have to be dedicated.

You may find that certain maintenance workers live abnormally well. With fancy titles, driving and or owning vehicles only those making decent 6 figure jobs.  Good luck to get any of them to talk. 
You will have to start your search with geological surveys. or more specifically Bedrock Topography. You are going to have to do your research not just key strokes away at your home. You are going to have to go to University Libraries. You will also have to know what you are looking for. But there is also another good start. If you can track down these individuals, or know such individuals...

Unlikely source... but sometimes reliable are those who are in the transportation commerce... Goods have to be delivered... Usually independent drivers will know more...  They usually will not talk about current contracts... but will discuss old ones...

I hope that helps...

* IGT Live Ghost Cam 1